Ok, so clear back in August when we were starting to tear apart out bathroom, I found a small box of shiny gray square tiles at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Pocatello. My idea was to ‘practice’ hanging tiles by putting those behind my stove as a focal point backsplash.
Yeah. So in the middle of my bathroom renovation, I mixed up a batch of thinset and attempted to put tiles up behind the stove in my kitchen. They slid down the wall. I had a momentary breakdown/panic session as I thought I would have to call in someone to tile my whole bathroom, since I was obviously failing. My mom wisely told me I was taking on too much, and to just focus on the bathroom.
Obviously, she was right. I eventually figured out the right consistency for my thinset, and the bathroom tiling went pretty smoothly. I did learn that it was much easier to lay tile on the floor than on the wall, but I made it through to a pretty decent finish.
Fast forward 8 months (!), and the area behind my stove was still splattered with old thinset. I had to avoid photographing that area, because it was obviously not finished. But, all of the tile materials were finally put away, and it was hard to think about getting that mess started again.
Lately I have been trying to finish projects that I already have materials for, so I got out the little box of gray tiles and started playing around with the layout. Then, I added in a few tiles I had remaining from the bathroom floor. And I eventually decided (after taking lots of pictures) to use just the prettier tiles. 🙂 They are from the Merola line at Home Depot.
Of course, then I had to decide on a pattern for those tiles that would best fit the small space behind the stove.
We decided on the last one, so then I had to get out all the messy tile stuff and get to work.
Unfortunately, even with all my bathroom tiling, I didn’t really learn the concept of tiling UP the wall, instead of down. I started at the most obvious place to me: in the center, right under the range vent.
Which meant I spent a LOT of time doing this:
Which was very tedious, especially since the kids were hollering for something every two minutes (they were sick all spring break). But Landry did step in and help.
So, what I should have done is to measure out where my bottom row would be and nail up a ledger board. Then, start the tile at the bottom and build up. Yep, much easier and much less time-consuming.
Many, many hours later, I finally made it to the end.
I framed in the tile with some 3/4 inch wood slats I had from another project. I painted them a dark charcoal (the same as our table) and it really tied everything together with the charcoal grout left over from the bathroom remodel.
I ended up tiling a whole row below what is seen behind the range. I figured this way, if we ever get a lower profile range, the backsplash will still work really well! I know I sure wouldn’t mind seeing a little more of that awesome tile!