How is it that some of our most used rooms can also be the most neglected spaces in our homes? Maybe you don’t have this problem, but for my husband and I, our bedroom tends to be the catch-all space where we put things we don’t know what else to do with. Ideally, your bedroom should be a restful and calming place, where you go to get away from the stressors of daily life. Ours, unfortunately, is not, so I decided to get busy and do something about it!
I put together an Idea Board for our bedroom to help me focus and get a picture of how things might work together. In a few weeks, I hope to show you the finished product, but for now, here is what I am thinking about:
1. Repainting the drawers of the IKEA nightstands I stained and painted back in January. They are currently a deep turquoise, and I am thinking white will tie in the rest of the room a bit better. I will leave the outside the black stained wood, but might change the drawer pulls so they are similar to the example photo, inspired by Mandi at Vintage Revivals.
2. New bedside lamps. Our current ones are just too big for the nightstands, and I think the pop of yellow/gold along with the fun shape might be fun. This one is from Target for $26.99. I am not sure if we will go with these exact lamps, but the yellow/gold color will be something I am looking for.
3. Accent wall color. I have never been one to do accent walls, but I have been liking the look lately, especially for small rooms. I already painted one wall in our bedroom a deep blue color with Clark+Kensington paint from ACE Hardware, called Blueville A41-7. I love it with the remaining walls and ceiling bright white.
4. DIY upholstered headboard in black and white print. I will go with something similar to this one from JoAnn’s fabrics. I am looking for a nice modern graphic print in home decor or indoor/outdoor fabric. I will attach it to the platform bed my husband put together for us one weekend a few months ago.
5. Low profile bedframe. My husband made a simple platform for our mattress from some 2x4s and plywood, but this one from IKEA looks like it would be a nice fit for small spaces:
6. White bedding. I have never had white bedding before, and I am not sure it is a great idea with a toddler and one on the way, but I would love to have the crisp luxurious feeling of a fancy hotel. I love the ruching and stripes on this duvet from West Elm.
7. A cozy throw for naps in my chosen yellow/gold accent color. It is also from Target and is in a fun houndstooth pattern.
8. We already own this great IKEA dresser. It is a bit big for our current room, but we need the drawer space, and it fits well along one wall. I love the spacious drawers and they slide open and closed very well.
9. Accessories! One I love is this wooden globe from Target.
10. Bamboo blinds from Home Depot. I love the look of the bamboo against the dark blue wall. I am usually more a fan of drapes in the bedroom, but we have one entire wall of high windows, and our bed is centered under another one. It made more sense for us to have some sort of blind. I am not sure if this will end up being a money-saving deal or not, depending on how they hold up, but I bought the cheaper roman matchstick blinds. I also bought some muslin with a 50% off coupon, and I will line the shades in the window area for privacy and room darkening.
There you have it, the ideas to get me inspired for our bedroom makeover. Another little item that is motivating me to get moving on this room is the fact that in about 8 weeks, we will have to make room for a tiny person to share the space. I will share photos when we get finished!
What have you been working on lately? Anyone else making idea boards to get themselves headed in the right direction?