One day you are making a plan and tearing out your bathroom floor, and the next day you realize you have to put it all back together again. Let me give you a heads up–it is a lot quicker and easier to tear old junk out of a bathroom than it is to put the new stuff in.
Our first weekend started off very productively with demolition and putting in a new subfloor.
At the beginning of the week, I proactively added a waterproofing goop to the floor under the tub and we moved the tub back in from the yard. On Tuesday evening, Jer was putting up cement board in the shower while I put the kids to bed. All of the sudden, there was an extremely loud crash and a yell from the bathroom. In the middle of a balancing act involving a drill, screws and heavy backerboard, the drill fell into the tub and chipped the finish. Argh!
After a night spend researching the pros and mostly cons of fixing a chip on the bottom of a bathtub, we decided to replace it while we still could. Thankfully, there was one in stock and Jer picked it up on his lunch break. He fortunately realized while still in the parking lot that the drain hole was on the wrong side! After another painstaking tub wrangling, we had the chipped tub out and the new one in that evening. Time gets sort of blurry after that.
Even knowing how much prep work was involved, it still took way longer than I wanted it to. Perhaps it was because I mostly worked on it after the kids were in bed or when my wonderful mom had a day off to help watch them. When I got things to the point where I needed Jer’s help again, I worked on the detail things. I painted the ceiling black.
I got pretty good at mixing up small batches of thinset, but the cleanup was less than enjoyable. After the shower walls were mostly tiled, I had a day or two where I contemplated not tiling the lower walls in the rest of the bathroom. I took a break and painted the ceiling again. This time I used two coats of primer on it before painting it a light mint color. I really think the black ceiling would have worked if the ceilings were taller, but it just didn’t feel right in this space. Also, my mom got claustrophobic every time I even talked about it, so there was that. 😉
After the shower and walls were tiled, I moved on to the floors. Tiling the floors was incredibly rewarding and much easier than the walls. Something to say for gravity working for you instead of against you.
After that came the grouting. I wanted a very dark grout, but I worried because I knew my tile setting job wasn’t perfect and dark grout would accentuate the flaws. I was also overwhelmed at the thought of having to mix up yet another powder and water. Thankfully, my dad talked me into exchanging the powder for a premixed grout that never has to be sealed. It was considerably more expensive, but it likely saved my sanity. Since it came in a little container with a lid, I could grab a half hour here and there to work when I had the time. We are happy with the final result, and the contrast between the white tiles and the dark grout makes the whole space look more modern.
Several weeks More than a month and a half after the fateful start, we are nearing the finish line. True to form, even those little details at the end take way more time than you think they should. You will notice that we are still missing a window in these photos. It’s a very good thing it was summertime!
Next up…Renovation Diary, Part 4: Bathroom Reveal!!